| View from my hotel window. What is it with these gas stations? Kum & Go, Pump & |
| Marley (left) and Pink are tuckered out, too. |
Just outside Omaha, we passed (on the left) Rascal Flatts' tour trailer.
Last night watched a Jon Stewart piece showing the screaming heads calling Warren Buffett a socialist (and worse) for suggesting that the super rich should be taxed more. Wanted to stop in and tell him how much I agree with his taxing sentiments.
But Omaha doesn't offer the traveler a friendly welcome. Entering the city, we were greeted by a ... sculpture is really too generous a term ... monstrosity framing a bridge over the highway. It looks like Godzilla threw up a giant erector set at either end. All pointy and violent and fierce. Not, IMHO, aesthetically pleasing at all.
In contrast, I-80 was framed much of the way by wild yellow daisies, what us Marylanders would call Black-Eyed Susans. They grow in profusion, all tangly and cheerful in the windy sunshine.
The wind is obviously a different entity out here than we are used to back east. Before bridges there are wind warning signs, followed by large wind socks, happily not completely inflated. I saw my first wind turbine up close and personal in IL yesterday. Wow, are those things HUGE! I'd written a website on wind power, so I knew the dimensions (90 ft tall, e.g.), but it's very different actually being right under one. Today I drove through several wind farms. I thought I would hate the sight of the turbines, but actually they look very appealing - silent, graceful, gleaming white sentries stationed across the horizon.
Although I started seeing cows in IL, in NE I've seen many more, and a few horses, all free range, scattered about in the fields. I also saw a huge kettle of hawks - maybe 20 or 30 - circling and swooping over a group of fields. My animals have been more noticeable, too: for the first time since we left home, the Tweets actually tweeted part of the way today (maybe that's why they're so tired).
And because I forgot to show you early on, here's what we look like going down the road...
| Packing out of the Super 8. |
| The Tweets have their own seat right behind mine. |
Hey Alex,
ReplyDeleteYour posts are great!! It is fun to follow along and hear your impressions and expereinces AND at times know exactly where you are having made the trip some years ago---sure it is very different now with progress etc.
You are one courageous woman with all you are doing...in addition you are such a great writer/poet---I for one am hoping you will continue to post about your experience and who knows one day the posts may find a place inside two hard covers or perhaps a plastic case holding a Nook or Kindle!
For now be safe, enjoy, and know that you are held in many loving hearts! K
P.S. You always DO find just the right outfit, not to worry!