Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Westward Ho! - Day 6

We've arrived! With 2,156 miles on the tires and at least that many bugs on the grill, the trusty BLMOON Subaru drove into the garage about 3p MT. Whew!

The last leg was the most difficult driving - I-76 comprises concrete slabs that must have been laid by the crew that didn't learn what they needed to know in kindergarten because none are level. The bumpity bumpity bumpity bump was so bad that I couldn't even do the speed limit. I swear we traveled as far vertically over the course of that road as we did horizontally.

The Tweets, needless to say, were relieved when we stopped. Safe and secure in the corner of my room, they sang tonight for the first time since we left home and are now sound asleep. All's well.

Luckily, no twins were hurt as a result of my arrival, although Tina nearly did a face plant on the newly painted garage floor in her excitement to welcome me. Tony considerately waited until after dinner to show me the stitches he got in his knee this weekend when he crashed his new mountain bike coming down ... a mountain. I can't believe they take that moniker so seriously here - a "mountain" bike just means fatter tires on the road, doesn't it? Apparently not.

Both twins have grown up again since I saw them at the end of May. Not only will we be doing homework together, I have a feeling I'm going to be counting on them to do most of mine. (Received my books today - very disappointed that they aren't much thicker for the amount of $ I paid.)

My welcome included a fabulous dinner of shrimp and tofu pad thai whipped up by Chelsey, the amazing gourmet nanny. For those of you worried that I may not come back east, I can tell you that she'll be the reason if I stay. Incidentally, she's from CT, just moved here a couple of months ago. She and her boyfriend drove out in TWO days. I can't even fathom it.

In the front hall looms a huge stack of cartons containing all the books I shipped via USPS. Except the empty carton, that is - the bottom and all contents are missing. Word to the wise: when buying shipping cartons, go to Home Depot, not Lowe's and don't trust anything valuable to the Post Office. There's a reason it's going out of business.

I want to share some observations about the trip and about today's drive, but they'll have to wait until after I've caught up a little on rest, which can't happen until I get the clothes, electronic gear, and  bird supplies off the bed. Meanwhile, thanks to all of you for your well wishes during our journey - it was on your wings that we flew here!

Surprisingly, the bonsai umbrella plant survived the trip relatively unscathed.





3 comments:

  1. Glad your safe and sound!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you have arrived all in once piece. phew! -Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy "homecoming"...glad you are safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete