Friday, September 23, 2011

Oh Wow

I'm learning many things, among them that each week is equivalent to a month under the quarter system. Therefore, a LOT has happened since I last wrote.

As I mentioned in the last post, the purpose of my Fieldwork class is to locate a practicum site and spend 30 hours training for that experience. I've identified four primary areas of interest that I'd like to pursue: post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD), particularly in combat veterans; working with prisoners; working in hospice; and doing mental health assessments.

Last week in my Theory class, I learned that Dree, one of our doctoral student teaching assistants (TAs), is working at the Denver County Jail, so I emailed her about my interest and asked if she would meet with me to discuss possible practicum opportunities. She agreed.

In the meantime, I sought out the "Blue Books," binders that contain write-ups and contact information about prior practicum sites. Fernando, a TA from my Theory class, happened to be walking by, so I asked him where the books are stored. He showed me and then asked about my interests. Turns out that he previously worked at the Denver County Jail and he gave me the name and email of the person to contact there. Fernando emailed me the next day and said that I should email them immediately because they would be interviewing next week. I sent off my resume.

On Monday afternoon, I met up with Dree. I explained what had transpired with Fernando and she gave me advice about the interview, should I get one. Just then, Fernando happened on the scene. They both proceeded to give me lots of great info about the place, in particular stressing that they thought the supervisors at the jail are excellent - key to a good placement.

I was feeling very lucky 1) to have found these two people, since working with prisoners is not an especially popular placement, and 2) that they were both so generous with their time and advice. Then Kenny joined our group.

Kenny is one of the second-year students who served on the panel that answered questions of us candidates during my interview day in the spring. When I was so horribly on the fence deciding between DU and UCD, it was Kenny's face radiating enthusiasm for the program, pride in the school and conviction that he was getting a superlative education that helped sway me to DU. So I got the opportunity to thank him and to get to know him a little better. During the course of our conversation, he decided to apply to DCJ also for an internship position.

By the time we'd wrapped up our conversation, I had only a few minutes before the start of a library-sponsored online webinar, so I sat in a comfy chair, plugged my MacBook Air into the outlet in the center of the table, and learned all sorts of very helpful tips about searching Google databases.

That night driving home I knew I was one of the luckiest people on the planet. I was awash in gratitude for having this amazing opportunity, for being at such an exceptional institution, for being so well cared for by total strangers, for having gotten here on the wings of my many treasured friends and family members. Wow, it doesn't get any better than this, does it?

Of course by Wednesday, I was once again questioning my sanity as I struggled to finish Blue Moon work and my weekly Thursday paper (I have 1-2 page papers due every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday), for which I had yet to do the reading. Such is the seesaw of student life.

However, I was able to finish the week on a high note. This morning I interviewed at the Denver County Jail and this afternoon received a placement offer. Hooray! I am thrilled and also surprised, since they told me that there were 10 candidates for only one or two positions. Whew - one less thing to worry about.

So I am going to kick back a little this Friday evening and lift a glass to all of you who helped me succeed today - cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ute. I wish I had more time to catch up with people - guess this will have to do for the next couple years. BTW, happy birthday (a little early)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your placement! It all sounds so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx, Sherry! I go for civilian training tomorrow. Stay tuned... :) :)

    ReplyDelete