Yesterday we traveled only 200 miles in 7+ hours. I finally escaped the dense gravity of Stratham at 1:30p, but not before locking myself out of the house one last time. And since Christine wasn't home with a key handy (nor were Cindy or Jean) I had to borrow one of the ladders the roofing contractor had left behind the unit to climb up onto the deck - luckily the back slider was open.
You would have had a good laugh watching this acrophobe climb that ladder - which was about a foot or two shorter than the deck floor - and then try to psych myself out to step OFF the ladder to hoist my heft up and over that railing. Whew! Not sure who was more freaked out about it, me or the Tweets, who had never seen me materialize from that direction.
I couldn't leave NH without wringing as much as I could from it, so we went west on 101 to get the full splendor of the width of the state. And splendorous it was! What a gorgeous day for traveling through our (it's still mine, too!) spectacular state. I miss it already.
Gabriele's friend Leslie had warned me to check the NY State Thruway for closings due to Hurricane Irene, which I had and had found none, but it never occurred to me to check the rest of the route. My bad. Route 9 was closed in VT, forcing us to go down 91 to connect with the Mass Pike instead of continuing due west to Albany. Then 91 was closed and we spent I don't know how long - 2+ hours? - going 6 miles on a windy back road between exits.
I called Leslie and told her the GPS was now predicting our arrival in Lyons at after 11p, unworkable for both of us. I was very disappointed not to be able to meet her. And I know she'd gone to some trouble for us, as I talked to her when she was shopping for dinner and sangria ingredients.
By the time we got through that mess, it was 6p and getting dark. As my amazing moving crew knows, I was operating on very little sleep and having trouble putting two thoughts together; it seemed smart to find a place to stay.
We ended up at the Econo Lodge in Westfield, MA, which is pet-friendly, if you call paying $20 a night per pet-friendly. The desk clerk finally assented to charging me only $20 for both Tweets, although I contend that the Tweets make much less mess than a dog or cat - and, especially, a human.
Due to the horror stories I've read about bed bugs, I bought one of those sleep sacks. That led to another moment of graceless hilarity when I tried to get out of it in the middle of the night. Suffice it to say I won the Monty Python audition.
The room was clean but smelled horribly of that industrial Febreze substitute that hotels use to mask odors. The roofing contractors (are they following me?) started pounding directly above my head at 7:30 this morning, followed by the cleaning staff hollering to each other from opposite ends of the hall. I'm basking in the full two-star hotel experience.
Now savoring a Blue Moon mug of lemongrass green tea and a bowl of Oatios, listening to J.J. Cale on the Jambox, and writing to you on my MacBook Air with HTC Thunderbolt-supplied WiFi - all the comforts of home!
As I look from my cinder block deck onto the Wendy's garbage dumpster across the parking lot, I'm enjoying the sunshine of another beautiful day and looking forward to making some serious headway today. Stay tuned...
Alex, I wanted to see you before you left, but, alas, I missed the boat. So glad to find your blog email in my inbox. I look forward to following you on your new adventure. I applaud your courage and sense of adventure and know that wonderful things await you. New Hampshire, however, already feels emptier without you.
ReplyDeleteWhat an adventure, Alex! I look forward to reading more as you travel along. John is moving to California in 2 weeks, although he is flying. I am following him in a few months and have visions of driving across country with a U-Haul in tow, but everyone tells me that is crazy. Perhaps I will see how you make out before I decide! Safe travels!
ReplyDeleteHave a safe and wonderful journey, Alex. Enjoy the ride! I look forward to hearing more...
ReplyDeleteP.S. Do you have a camera handy to take photos?
Safe journey Alex---so exciting....thanks for including us all in your adventures!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the blogosphere - fun to follow your next life chapter here!
ReplyDeleteWhoo! Is this fun. Get to follow you all the way to your new home. We are awaiting your arrival with heady anticipation. I have been trying to get our blog into a book but all the tools are a bit clunky. Travel safe and keep the shinny side up! Marco...
ReplyDeleteThank you all for your comments and enthusiasm! I hope I have something more interesting to post than "we drove another 400 miles today" (but not as interesting as "I had to climb up a ladder onto my deck...")
ReplyDeleteSherry, since we didn't have a chance to get together before I left, you'll just have to come west! As you know, I'll be just on the other side of Nebraska - close enough to home that you can visit the folks, then ski or apres (what I do best) with us!
Robyn, California? Where? How? When? Do tell...
Hi Alex,
ReplyDeleteYes, I am reading your blog...a great way to keep us all up to date on your travels. Have a great travel day today. Give my regards to Cleveland as you pass by. :)
Nadine
So Nadine, did you wish this rain on me? ;)
ReplyDeleteHey Alex,
ReplyDeleteLike Sherry, I missed the opportunity to hook up with you before your departure! Bummer! But as you said, I can look for you in CO--what a beautiful place that is, eh? We'll bring a little bit of NH with us when we visit. Bon voyage! And delighted to see that you've started a blog to allow us to keep up with your adventures. Love Deb
John got a great opportunity at a company in San Jose. His job here is ending and as I'm sure you know the job market in the Northeast is pretty depressing. We are not sure exactly where we will land but would love to be in the Half Moon Bay area. We are keeping our house in Sandown though... so we will be back at some point! It's a little scary as I'm sure you understand, but it will be an adventure!
ReplyDeleteHopefully there are no more ladders in your near future. That was pretty funny, though! :)
Good luck to you, Robyn! Sounds wonderful to have a break from winter for a few years. You'll have to write a blog to keep us posted... :) :)
ReplyDeleteHello Alex,
ReplyDeleteAnd the adventure begins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're and inspiration to us all.
I'll be watching your journey with great interest. Don't let worry get in the way of your fun.
Prayers,
Tharpa
Venerable Tenzin Tharpa
Tibet2009.com
Thanks, William, for the reminder! I was doing just that when you caught me... =D
ReplyDeleteThanks for keeping us in your loop. Fun to read of your adventures Alex! Godspeed to you. Love, Claire
ReplyDeleteHaven't heard from you for awhile,
ReplyDeleteplease post some good news for us.
William, if you haven't been getting updates, you should subscribe by email (button below and at the top of the blog). I believe there are now 10 posts...
ReplyDelete